Natural latex is made from a milky substance (sap) that drips from the rubber tree. Rubber (genuine latex) in its pure form is sensitive to oils, ultraviolet, i.e. these factors degrade it. Therefore, latex manufacturers also add certain stabilizing ingredients to the rubber mixture. Maximum content of rubber in the natural latex is about 85% (such formula is known as 100% natural latex). Latex content 45% to 65% is optimum for mattress industry applications as this percent composition of latex foam provides proper pliability, resilience (due to natural rubber) and durability (due to special additives). Such latex is very expensive;therefore, mattress production widely accepts latex with the natural rubber content at least 20%.
Natural latex is a soft material used as padding for spring mattresses and as a core (monolithic slabs) in springless mattresses, in which latex of medium firmness (high resilience) is also used. Moreover, in springless mattresses there are other padding combinations, e.g. mattresses with hard coir and latex layers. High density of latex products assures excellent elasticity and long life period, but low breathability, therefore there are always through holes in natural latex to increase ventilation and make the material breathable.
The main source of the natural rubber (milky sap) is an evergreen tree Hevea Brasiliensis (90% of global yield). Native of Brazil, Hevea is now spread on other continents and regions such as South Africa, South-East Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia etc.), and tropical Africa. Hevea tree both grows in natural tropical rainforests and is planted on special plantations. Hevea sap provides antiseptic effect as germs and bacteria die in it.Therefore, sap dripping from multiple slashes (for over 20 years) does not damage the tree, the bark heals itself. Latex products retain antiseptic properties (depending on natural rubber content), which make them repellent to any microorganisms, including mites and other saprophytes.
Special technological procedures of natural latex production for furniture industry applications:
- From the tank, where the latex mixture is constantly being stirred, it is poured into a special reservoir for foaming.
- The foam is poured into special molds and vulcanized at 100 ° С.
- The semi-finished item is removed from the mold.
- The ready product is cleaned from foam residues, dried at 120 ° С, tested for firmness, weighted and packed.
Latex mattresses produce little or no chemical smell, which is a great advantage to people sensitive to odors. The odor emission rate is the main difference between various latex types. This characteristic is especially important in mattresses made of natural latex only.
Motion isolation is a property associated mainly with natural latex mattresses and greatly enjoyed by almost 80% of their owners. Motion isolation means that the mattress absorbs the movement (tossing, turning, getting in and out of bed) of one person so that the other person sleeping in the same bed is not disturbed. It assures more pleasant and undisturbed sleep. This is an important advantage to innerspring, air and water matrasses, which do not keep motion localized due to poor energy-absorbing properties. Besides, latex is a “quiet” material, it does not produce annoying sounds.
Among the main selling points of the natural latex is that it is a safe and healthy material for sleeping accessories, people like natural latex mattresses for their hypoallergenic properties and resistance to dust mites. This material features antibacterial, antifungal and mildew proofing qualities.
Latex materials are known for their durability. Service life of natural latexmattresses is much longer than that of other mattress types. Latex foam mattressesserve certainly for 7+ years and averagely remain comfortable for 10-15 years.
Orthopedic latex pillows are modern sleeping accessories for comfortable and healthy sleep. They are produced of foamed natural rubber, i.e. safe and environment-friendly raw material. It makes the pillows comfortable, useful and even necessary for healthy sleep. Being orthopedic and anatomic, they get adjusted to the head and neck form.
At the moment there are several types of orthopedic latex pillows: traditional rectangular or square, original U-shaped ones.
Advantages of orthopedic latex pillows:
- The pillows are resilient, comfortable, moderately tough. They assure maximum comfort, relieve the muscle strain, prevent spine deformation and other spine disorders.
- Rubber foam does not absorb moisture, provides constant heat exchange and excellent ventilation properties. The pillow easily breaths and it feels pleasant for the skin.
- Due to perforated structure and antiseptic properties, latex pillows decrease risk of respiratory disease and allergies. Natural latex is repellent to malignant germs and insects,they accumulate neither dust nor static electricity.
- Durability. You will use your latex pillow for ten or even twenty years without serious loss or quality.
Special features of latex pillows:
- Latex pillow helps to get rid of snoring, making your breathing even and free.
- Sleeping on such pillow allows better relaxation.
- Enhances head and neck blood supply;
- Orthopedic latex pillows allows to release intervertebral disc pressure.
- Relaxation of shoulder and neck muscles.
- Optimumair exchange – feels cooler in summer and warmer in winter.
Indications for use:
- Osteochondrosis, spondylosis of cervical spine and spondylarthrosis.
- Headache, undue fatiguability, dizziness, neck pain.
- Suitable for allergics and asthmatics.
- Rehabilitation after cervical spine traumas.
- Cervical spine instability and vertebrobasilar insufficiency syndrome.
- Merely perfect option for entire body rest and sleep off.
- Protect from direct sunlight.
- Do not use chemical agents for cleaning.
- Do not expose to rupture stress or sharp objects.
It is not recommended to wash latex products, but if necessary they may be manually cleaned in soapy water at temperatures up to 40 ° C.